Diana Henry’s Beetroot and Potato Gratin
This is absolutely delicious with roast beef or salmon. You can add about 3 tsp of creamed horseradish if you want (just spread it out between the layers). It’s also good with the addition of flaked smoked mackerel, in which case it makes a good main
- 6 as a side dish
- Preparation Time:
- 20 mins
- Cooking Time:
- 1 hour
What you'll need:
- 1kg potatoes, preferably waxy ones
- 500g cooked beetroot
- 425ml double cream
- 140ml sour cream
- 85ml full fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 3tsp creamed horseradish (optional)
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Peel the potatoes and slice very finely - a mandoline is the best way to do this. Cut the beetroot into fine slices as well - they don't have to be as thin. You can cut them with a knife.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the creams and the milk and bring the liquid to just under the boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Season really well and spoon ½ the potatoes into a buttered gratin dish. Put a layer of beetroot on top - seasoning as you go, then top with the rest of the potatoes and their cream. Put in the oven for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are completely tender. You may need to cover the top with foil after 45 minutes to stop the top becoming too dark in colour.