Back to Recipe index
American Style Beetroot Pie with BART spices
- Serves 4
- Preparation Time:
- 15 mins
- Cooking Time:
- 45 - 50 mins
What you'll need:
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 325g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained
- 3 eggs
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 2tsp BART ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp BART ground allspice (optional)
- ½ tsp BART ground ginger (optional)
- 250ml double cream
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beetroot along with the eggs in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan add the sugar, all the spices and cream and bring slowly up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beetroot puree.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the centre will still be a touch wobbly. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with crème fraiche.