Beetroot, Raisin & Stem Ginger Pudding with BART Spices
- Preparation Time:
- 15 mins
- Cooking Time:
- 3 hours
What you'll need:
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 100g vegetable suet
- 80g dark brown sugar
- 100g raisins
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g self raising flour
- 1tsp BART ground mixed spice
- 125g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained
- 3 eggs
- 100g stem ginger, finely chopped
- Crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream
You will also need:
- 1 ½ pint pudding basin, well greased with butter
- Baking paper, string & tin foil
What to do:
- Pour the golden syrup into the greased pudding basin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the suet, sugar, raisins, breadcrumbs, flour and BART mixed spice.
- Puree the beetroot in a food processor, add the eggs and blend together well. Pour into the mixing bowl, along with the stem ginger, and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into the pudding basin and pat well down with the back of a spoon. Cover with a layer of baking paper and tie securely with string, then cover with a double layer of foil.
- Carefully lower the pudding into a large pan of hot water, ensuring the water comes no further than half way up the basin. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 3 hours, checking every now and then that there is plenty of water in the pan, topping up if necessary.
- Carefully take the pudding out of the pan, remove the foil and greaseproof and invert onto a serving plate. Serve with custard, crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream.